The United Arab Emirates is a country which is a melting pot of different cultures and welcomes people from different corners of the world. The cosmopolitan nature of the country demands a uniform set of traffic rules which needs to be followed strictly to provide seamless and smooth traffic conditions.
The UAE has a black points system that leads to seizure of the license of the driver. The person who violates the rules is charged by the black points; if it reaches to 24 black points within 12 months, the penalty is charged as follows-
- On the first violation, the driving license is seized for 3 months
- On the second violation, the driving license is seized for 6 months
- On the third violation, the driving license is seized for a year, and is given when the driver passes the driving course signed by the traffic authorities.
Following are the traffic rules that have to be obeyed while driving in UAE.
Wearing the seatbelt including the people sitting on the rear seat is mandatory while driving a car in UAE. A child safety seat has to be in the vehicle for the children up to the age of 4 years. The passenger sitting on the front seat should not be younger than 10 years. If the rules are broken, the driver of the vehicle will be fined AED 400 and four black points.
A Salik tag is a sticker with an electronic chip readable by scanners installed at the toll gates that uses Radio Frequency Identification technology, and works in all weather conditions and speeds, and provides accurate and reliable identification.
How does Salik work?
- Buy a Salik tag
- Open a Salik account at either of the branches of
- Dubai Islamic Bank
- Emirates Bank
- Epco, Enoc and Emarat petrol stations
- Provide all the necessary information about yourself and vehicle, to open your prepaid account
- Post that, machine-readable-stickers will be fixed on the vehicle's front windshield, and motorists won’t be required to stop.
- Toll charges will be deducted from their cards every time they pass under the electronic gates fitted with scanners.
For more information, call the Salik customer service centre at 800 SALIK (72545)
Drink and Drive
Drinking and driving is totally prohibited in the UAE, and if caught, imprisonment and/or a fine of minimum AED 20,000 is charged. The same goes for other Narcotics. Basic Laws and regulations in UAE
The driver’s license is valid up to 2 years for all citizens. Driving without license in UAE is entitled to the imprisonment of 3 months and/or fine of AED 5,000.
At least, the third party insurance is needed while driving in the UAE.
Use of Mobile while Driving
Talking over the mobile phones while driving in the UAE is strictly prohibited. If caught, AED 800 and four black points will be charged against the driver.
Parking under following circumstances can be charged as-
- In the ambulance parking: AED 1,000 and six black points
- Blocking the movement of other vehicles: AED 500
- Illegal parking: AED 500
- Parking in offloading or loading areas: AED 200
- Left side of the road in prohibited areas: AED 1,000
- Parked without securing the car: AED 500
- Parking on pavement: AED 400
These are some of the common norms that you need to take care of while driving in UAE.