You should always be aware of the security when using an ATM and should always follow these general tips to ensure your personal information is kept safe:
Here are some of the ways by which you can protect yourself every time you use your ATM
- Never disclose your Personal Identification Number (PIN) to anyone.
- Never write your PIN or Password on your ATM card or Credit card. Memorise your PIN or Password.
- Never use an ATM with a blank screen.
- Do not force your card into the card slot.
- Stand close to the ATM and use your body and hand as a shield to make sure nobody sees you keying in your PIN.
- Keep your hand over the card slot to make sure nobody can swap or take your card.
- Follow the instructions on the ATM screen carefully.
- Do not insert your card until asked to do so by the display screen.
- Only put in your PIN when the ATM tells you to do so.
- Avoid drawing cash late at night or when you are alone.
- Leave the ATM immediately if you don't feel safe or you are suspicious of individuals loitering around. Come back later or use another ATM.
- Never hurry when using an ATM. Make sure you are not distracted, intimidated or rushed into your transaction.
- Never accept help from strangers when using an ATM. Always be wary of strangers asking for help. While one distracts you the other steals your card and money.
- Do not count your cash in front of the ATM.
- Avoid using ATMs in secluded areas after dark.
- If the ATM retains your card, cancel it immediately.
- Never allow a bystander to call the toll-free number on your behalf - they could be tricking you into thinking your card has been stopped.
- Always check that it is your card you get back from the ATM.
- Be aware of the daily withdrawal limits on each of your cards and decrease them if necessary.
- When using your cards at ATM's be alert that there are no additional devices affixed on the card reader slot or keypad, and also ensure that no one can see you punch the PIN number on the ATM keypad.
- Report lost or stolen cheques, ATM cards, or Credit Cards as soon as you discover they are missing.